Tuesday, January 17, 2006

My best friend's wedding

My Best Friend's Wedding
Christmas had arrived finally.Significance? A day so many of us had been waiting for since so long.My best friend, her parents, her sister, her sister's daughter and myself and so many others who are unaccounted for here in my little virtual space of verbal expression.
My friend of so many years.Almost a decade that we know each other.I still remember the first day I met her.It was quite a wonderful day in mid-July and Fergusson College was as humungous as ever.We were lost in the throngs of new students.Met her in a history class.And the stupid question that I asked her...."Hey are you taking this class?" Some oversmart brat like me would have replied..... No, I am just wondering why the walls are so blue and that's why I am sitting in this class at 7:00 am ."
But polite and well mannered and patient as she is, she quipped a quick "yes".
Another hour later we were good friends.Of course as she always jokes.........I did the talking.Well don't call me talkative, that lady wasn't ready to say a word.What could I do?I was just amazed at her capability to stay mum on every which question I asked and yet she was able to answer exactly whatever I asked her in crisp short sentences.Often I'd begin a story and sit wondering what the purpose of telling her that anecdote was.
We went to college on her most prized possession(the equations have changed now I guess). Sunny must have lost the numero Uno now I think.Well her silver moped (Sunny).......Wonderful times.When that poor vehicle wouldn't budge uphill we would waddle like ducks and make it go just that little bit and manage somehow to reach where we wanted to.Good times , good times.
Those rides by the red, shabby buses in the city.
Only so that we didn't have to cycle all the way to college.
Those nights when I stayed over at her place and instead of cooking we would get Methi Matar malai and pineapple raitha parceled from a nearby restaurant and rather spend our time discussing important political issues, religious fanaticism(whether there existed any).Endless nights completing journals and eating Maggie and Icecream at 3 am in the morning as a treat!!!! after completion.
The times when You my dearest friend had to come home and wake me up for my own good.I owe it to you.Well there was this one time when my friend had to come to my place to wake me early morning since I wasn't ready yet and then also to hurry me up since the final exam that we were to take was going to begin in 15 minutes.Inspite of reaching late to college and going to the wrong exam hall I did manage to finish my exam on time and progressed to 12th grade.That wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for you my friend.
Words won't be enough, pages will not suffice.
What remains in my heart are moments in paradise.
I miss you my friend.I missed you for long now.
I wish I could dictate and have fate bow.
Will things change? Will they be like before?
I wish the past did endure!
All the same I wish you luck in life,
You are about to enter a new spell as a 'Wife'
Old things got to move to let in the new
"promise me you'd never say Adieu!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

come to think of it - nothing really changes. since we anticipate things to change - they invariably change as if to fullfil our desire.

Anonymous said...

never easy to let memories go, is it..

Manasi said...

maggie at 3..... pineapple raitha.... sounds like good fun!
Some things are most deeply felt only when they are over... time that you spend with friends is usually valued after its gone.
But why am i talking of loss.... you and her are friends forever.
i am touched!!
well written.