Sunday, April 02, 2006

Country roads take me home..........

Finally the day arrived, I rented a car all on my own (courtesy a courageous friend who accompanied me on the drive), and yes drove on the Interstate.
It was a Nissan Altima, silver in color and smooth as butter.
First few things that went wrong included not adjusting the mirror,not checking the headlights and yeah most importantly, the gears shift- stick was a different make, a different design.
Anyways after much adieu and a few important rules or rather words of wisdom from that friend of mine, I took off from the parking lot of the airport and went to explore the roads of the city.
It was a wonderful feeling to be behind the steering wheel, to be in the control position of the car , rather than being a backseat observer.
Loved the speed factor. The car has good pick up and that i could make out even with the slightest pressure on the accelerator.
Given that I drove a little in India, i really did miss the clutch and stick shift part of driving, however driving was much more relaxed here..........in the U.S
I also made a trip to Peoria and back.Head was throbbing but forced myself to drive for I wouldn't get such a chance again.Did make a couple of mistakes and I think it is more of an ego issue to be told when you make a mistake that you are not supposed to.However to err is human and failure is the stepping stone to success.
Made a futile attempt to parallel park but consoled myself saying the space wasn't big enough to park the car.Indeed it was very little space!!!!!!!!!
Ended a day by driving to a gas station, filling gas and returning the car to the rental company.
Oh wow, what a feeling.All this to get a driving license and to drive away, far far away.One dream, one wish........to make a road trip before i return home.Let's see if I accomplish this one.

4 comments:

Akash said...

i m with u for accomplishing this wish. try to make some plan for trip.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
28112 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Siddharth Adelkar said...

miss the clutch and gear stick. u bet.